Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

My Style Regimen

I suppose a good way to begin this blog would be to tell you a bit about my personal style. My style evolves constantly, as I love trying new things - but all and all I would describe my style as classic with an edge. I always try to keep my looks appropriate while challenging myself to throw in some daring pieces. Within the last year my style has evolved tremendously. A couple years ago, I was so afraid to wear half the clothes in my closet because I thought people might make fun of me. I spent an entire year trying to blend in to the rest of the world - and what a waist that was! I have learned to embrace standing out and trying to look different. Fortunately for me, I attend a school where fashion is more or less appreciated and encouraged, which makes getting dressed each day exciting and challenging. I like to give myself guidelines and rules for class so I can avoid blending into the crowd. A few items I forbid myself to wear to school include: yoga pants, sweat pants, Uggs, and hoodies. Last year I had the unfortunate experience of contracting mono. When I was sick  a sweat pants on sweatshirt ensemble was practically my uniform. But after a semester of cringe-worthy hobo outfits, and once I felt better, I changed my ways and will never break this rule again. No matter how tired or stressed I am, I have realized that the cliche really does hold true - "When you look good, you feel good." Avoiding these items instantly makes me feel put together and sophisticated and challenges me to create cozy, fashionable, alternatives for those days that I just can put on those skinny jeans. This year, I have come up with a couple new rules for myself. Time and time again I have found myself coming back to my "safe" outfit which consists of skinny jeans rolled to the ankle, a plain v neck, ballet flats, and a cardigan. While I will always think this is a cute, classic outfit, I have worn it a few too many times and it is just too...well - safe. This year I am not allowing myself to wear this outfit to school! I want to challenge myself each day to put together a creative new look. Which brings me to my next rule: no repeating outfits. This is something I am already pretty careful about (if I wear an outfit in September or August I may repeat it in May or June when the weather gets nice again; also on rainy days I tend to wear similar things). But, this year, I want to be really hard on myself. I want to try to wear a different outfit each day this year to school and I want to challenge myself both to further express my personal style, and to fit new trends and fun pieces into my wardrobe. 
Me in a typical outfit for warm weather

No comments:

Post a Comment